26 July 2021

ADVICE: How do I stop thinking about someone who abandoned me?

I dream about my ex all the time even though he abandoned me while I was pregnant and treats me like I don't matter. How can I stop?


I get it. He’s your child’s father. It’s natural to have dreams about him. You have history together.

My first husband left me for another woman while I was pregnant with our second child. He had no interest in what was happening with me, how I was managing being pregnant and chasing around a 2-year-old, and whether I had enough money to get by.

He walked away without looking back. He only cared about himself.

Sounds a lot like your ex.

The best way to dream about him less is to remind yourself how your life has improved since he left. As you're lying in bed, ready to drift off to sleep, count your blessings. Having those pleasant and peaceful thoughts can help you to sleep better. Keep in mind, also, that dreaming of your ex doesn’t mean anything other than he was a part of your life experience. Nothing more.


However, if these dreams continue to bother you, get connected with a counselor or therapist to learn other coping strategies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

I've been a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York State since 2000, and over the years my clients have struggled to understand wh...