29 July 2021

ADVICE: My BF's parents will pull his financial support if we don't break up...

I started dating my best friend, who's studying to be a pilot. His family says I'm a distraction and threatened to cut his funding if we don't end the relationship. He won't be finished with aviation school for two years.  What do I do?  I think he's "The One."


I can understand how upsetting this situation must be for you and your BF. It’s too bad that his parents want to control him with their money, but if their financial support will allow him to finish pilot training, then that’s reality. Whatever it takes to get him to his career.

It sounds like you have a good foundation to your relationship—the best ones start out as friends. Talk with your BF and come up with a solution that will allow you to maintain your connection but keep his grades up, his parents off his back, and protect the financial support.

If the relationship is strong, and you’re both committed to making this work, two years will be worth the wait.

In the meantime, focus on working on your own career, so when it’s time for you and your sweetie to be together again, you’ll both be ready to set out on your own and take on the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

I've been a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York State since 2000, and over the years my clients have struggled to understand wh...