23 March 2021

UNDERSTANDING HUMAN BEHAVIOR: Taking risks in relationships

Photo Credit: The Training Associates

Why do people take risks in relationships? It depends on the kind of risks being taken.

If I take a risk to be honest, open and genuine with my partner, it means that I trust them with my vulnerabilities and true self, and do so to deepen our relationship.

If I take a risk by moving away with my partner to pursue my career (or so that they can pursue theirs), it means that we’re mutually supportive and committed to the well-being and longevity of our relationship, and respect the career choices we each have made.

If I take a risk by having a long-distance relationship or taking a trip without my partner, it means I trust my partner and my partner trusts me to remain committed and faithful while we’re apart.

If I take a risk by marrying my partner, it means that I am committed to do all I can to make the relationship healthy, strong, and loving until the day I die. It also means that I will remain faithful and committed to my partner.

If I take a risk by hooking up with someone outside the relationship, it means that:

  1. I’m emotionally insecure and need confirmation that I’m still interesting and attractive to other people
  2. I want those “butterflies in the stomach” romantic feelings again
  3. I want to see how much I can get away with
  4. It feels good to be “naughty”
  5. I don’t want to be monogamous and want to be with other people
  6. I’m unhappy/unsatisfied in the relationship and am seeking a potential new partner before I break up with my current partner

Taking risks are necessary in relationships, as long as the outcome of those risks taken doesn’t compromise the trust, integrity, commitment and well-being of that relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

I've been a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York State since 2000, and over the years my clients have struggled to understand wh...