20 March 2020

Stuck at home and going stir-crazy?



I started working from home yesterday, and aside from tackling some IT issues, this should work out just fine.  Keeping connected to co-workers by texts and web-conferencing is how we're trying to maintain some kind of semblance of a usual workday.

Evenings and weekends, however, haven't been going as well.   My typical wellspring of patience is consistently tested because all of the stress-busting activities I typically tap into have been temporarily taken away.  No visits with family and friends, no going to the movies, no dining out.  Ugh.

Since our lives have been turned upside-down by the restrictions imposed by COVID-19, difficult days are becoming the norm when you're stuck at home.

Most people are struggling to figure out how to keep themselves from going bat-s#!t crazy.  Here's a less-than-comprehensive list of what we could do to pass the time:

Stay socially connected while maintaining physical distance
GoogleDuo has become my lifeline to family.  It's a good-enough-for-now solution to check in with my kids and grandkids.  Phone calls and texts are okay, but the distancing seems a little less so when I can see them and I know they can see me.

Sending a card by snail-mail to an elderly family member can make their day brighter and less isolated.  

Making a video of yourself reading a book could let the little ones in your life know that you care.

Volunteer to make bag lunches for school kids in your district.  Call the superintendent's office to see how you can sign up.

Tackle home projects that need attention
I cleaned out our junk drawer on Sunday.  (It blows my mind how much crap we tried to stuff in there.) Now the drawer looks like something you'd see on Pinterest, and I can't stop opening it up to marvel at it's beauty.

What tasks have you been putting off because you didn't have time?  Well, now you have more time, so get crackin'.  Start small (like a junk drawer or putting winter gloves and hats in a tote to be stored).  If you have kids, get them involved.  It's so satisfying to improve the environment we're forced to spend more time in, and the improvements make being at home so much more pleasant.  Plus, staying busy makes the day fly by.

Rearrange furniture
This is something I definitely plan to do.  The furniture in my living room has been in the same positions for the past year, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole colony of dust-bunnies that have taken up residence under the couch.  

If you can't physically move your sofa or other large items, put some seasonal knick-knacks out or bring something in from another room, like a framed picture from the bedroom into the dining room. Time to change up your environment and make it feel new and different.

Ignite your creative juju
I admit it.  I have a lot of craft supplies. ("Hi, I'm Robyn.  I'm a craftaholic.") I went through my stash and pulled out some never-used colored pencils and a brand-new coloring book.  My plan is to take some time after dinner each night and make one of those pages pretty.  I also have some blank canvases that I want to paint for gifts.

You don't need a lot of markers, paints, crayons, etc. to get those creative juices flowing.  Do a search on Joann.com or Pinterest to find a project that you can make with supplies you already have at home.  Dust off that musical instrument that you've been meaning to get back to.  There's research that has shown that doing something artistic or creative is a natural stress-reducer.

Get outside
Even though we need to maintain physical distance from other people, we can still enjoy the outdoors.  State parks in New York have temporarily waived entrance fees to encourage folks to go and find the peace that being in nature can bring.

If you have a yard where you live, you KNOW there's stuff to be done.  Raking, mowing, weeding, planting...these are all excellent stress-busters and getting our hands dirty is good for the soul, too.  

What if you don't have a yard?  Go for a walk.  Start training for your next (or first!) 5K.  Ride your bike.  Toss a football with your kid.  Sit on a bench (maintaining physical distancing standards) and just enjoy breathing in fresh air.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

Welcome to the Counselor's Desk

I've been a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York State since 2000, and over the years my clients have struggled to understand wh...